Would you like your child to be bilingual and be challenged academically?
This program may be for you!
What is Spanish Immersion?
The Spanish Immersion Program is an option for students in the Smyrna School District. It gives elementary students an opportunity to complete the District’s rigorous academic program in a non-traditional and exciting way – by immersing them in the Spanish language and culture from kindergarten through 12th grade. Students in the program become proficient in both English and Spanish, while learning the same content as their peers outside the program.
What makes this program unique?
Students in the Spanish Immersion Program learn to understand, speak, read and write Spanish in addition to English. Spanish teachers have native or near-native ability in the language and are chosen for their skills and commitment to the goals of the program.
What if no one at home speaks Spanish?
Report cards, notices and newsletters are all issued in English and we will communicate frequently about your student’s progress. However, if you’re an immersion parent, by the end of your child’s experience you may find that you’ve learned a significant amount of Spanish, too!
Why choose the Spanish Immersion Program for my child?
Studies have found that learning a second language at an early age has many benefits:
• There is a positive effect on brain development and intellectual growth.
• Students gain flexibility in thinking, greater sensitivity to language, and a better ear for listening.
• It opens the door to other cultures and helps children understand and appreciate people from other countries.
• Students acquire Spanish language fluency.
• Spanish Immersion produces successful learners who perform well on standardized tests.
• Students have increased job opportunities in many careers where knowledge of another language is an asset.
The Smyrna School District does not discriminate in employment, educational programs, services or activities based on race, color, marital status, creed, religion, national origin, gender, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or any other protected category or status in accordance with state and federal laws.
Inquiries should be directed to the District Superintendent. 82 Monrovia Ave, Smyrna, Delaware 19977, or telephone (302) 653-8585